Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
From Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2008. Serve this sauce over ice cream or pudding or even over brownies.
Top Review by HokiesMom
Tart, tangy and tongue tingling goodness in one recipe. I had a struggle getting it to become thick or even thickened so I upped the cornstarch mixture 2x and it made it thicker but still it is a very thin sauce. I've never made Coulis before so it quite possibly was perfect and I just don't know. Either way the taste is spectacular - not sweet at all but really tart with the use of fresh strawberries. I served it over Recipe #482990 with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and it was a huge hit with the family. My DS enjoyed it just over ice cream too (he always wants seconds of something :) ). Found and made during ZWT8.
- 1 1⁄2 cups raspberries or 1 1⁄2 cups strawberries, fresh
- 2 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice, about 4 limes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Place fruit and 1 cup water in blender and process until smooth.
- Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl and discard the solids.
- Combine puree, 1 1/2 cups water and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Combine juice and cornstarch in a small bowl, whisking until blended.
- Add cornstarch mixture to fruit mixture and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook 5 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly.
- Strain again into a bowl and discard solids.
- Cool, cover and chill.