Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Saved for safekeeping from MSN.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1 1⁄4 cups raspberries or 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease twelve 2 1/2" by 1 1/4" muffin-pan cups.
- In large bowl, mix first 6 ingredients.
- In small bowl, with wire whisk or fork, beat buttermilk, applesauce, vanilla, and egg until blended; stir into flour mixture just until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy).
- Fold in berries.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups.
- Bake muffins 20 to 25 minutes until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
- Immediately remove muffins from pans; serve warm. Or cool on wire rack.
- Note:Or, instead of buttermilk, in 1-cup glass measuring cup, place 1 tablespoon lemon juice, then add enough milk to equal 1 cup. Let mixture stand until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Another of MsSally's super low-fat and scrumptious muffin recipe. Everyone loved these but then they also loved Ms Sally's Low-Fat Banana Buttermilk Muffins! I made these with raspberries which we love and an egg - a wonderfully golden yolked free-range egg from a workmate's farm - rather than egg substitute. Otherwise I followed the instructions exactly. Again, thank you for sharing this great recipe. Made for Holiday Tag.
These were good, I just couldn't seem to accept the blueberries in a corn muffin. The corn muffin is a sweet cornbread, similar in taste to a Jiffy mix cornbread. Mine were done in just 18 minutes. This is a quick and easy recipe, its just not my personal preference. Made for Everyday is a Holiday tag!
Delicious! I used 1 real egg instead of the egg substitute, otherwise made just as specified. I also used paper liners but I won't next time because the muffins did stick to them a little. These were so moist and tasty and the blueberry is fantastic with the cornbread. I loved these - thanks for sharing this recipe!