Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a recipe for a very pretty/shiny white cake with both white and red frosting. This is a shiny jewel-like cake that can be made in many different colors. The raspberry-cranberry juice makes the brightest red topping but any raspberry or red type juice concentrate can be used or substituted in this recipe.
- 1 (18 ounce) package white cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup seedless raspberry preserves
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons kirsch
- 2⁄3 cup raspberry-cranberry frozen juice concentrate, thawed
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup fresh raspberry, for decoration
- mint sprig, for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour two 9 or 8" round cake pans.
- In bowl combine cake mix, water, oil, and egg whites and beat on low speed until moistened.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed and pour into greased and floured pans.
- Bake at 350 for 25-40 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool 30 minutes or until all the way cooled.
- Stir raspberry preserves until smooth; cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile in large bowl, combine shortening and butter; beat on medium speed until creamy.
- Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Beat in 2 tablespoons.
- Kirsch, and additional Kirsch if necessary for soft spreading consistency.
- To assembles the cake, trim cake layers to even off and place 1 cake layer trimmed side down on serving plate.
- Spread with 1/2 cup frosting.
- Spread evenly with raspberry preserves.
- Top with remaining cake layer, trimmed side down.
- Spread top with 1/2 cup frosting smoothing top to form flat surface.
- Reserve another 1/2 cup frosting for piping.
- Spread sides with remaining frosting.
- Place reserved frosting in small decorating bag fitted with small star tip.
- Pipe decorative edge around top and bottom edge of the cake.
- In a small saucepan combine juice concentrate and cornstarch.
- Over medium to low heat bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool 10 minutes or until thickened mixture is room temperature.
- Spoon on top of the cake and spread to piped edges of frosting.
- Before serving arrange some raspberries around top edge of the cake and garnish with mit sprigs.