Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
There are a lot of meringue cookie recipes, but this is the first one I have seen with jam in it. Eggs whip up best when they are room temperature. Serving amounts depend upon the size of hearts that you make & if you keep them as just outlined hearts or fill them in.
- Let eggs stand for 30 minutes to allow them to warm up to room temperature.
- In small bowl, mix sugars.
- In separate bowl, mix jam and food coloring.
- Beat eggs to soft peaks, adding cream of tartar while beating.
- Add sugar mixture to the eggs 1 tsp at a time while beating, approximately 5 minutes.
- Fold 1/2 c meringue mixture into jam.
- Fold remaining meringue back into the meringue/jam mixture.
- Place into a pastry bag with a large star tip.
- Pipe hearts onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. You may leave the hearts as an outline or fill them in until they are solid hearts.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place cookie sheets into oven and turn the oven off.
- Keep meringues in a closed oven for 1 hour or until crisp.