Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This used to be a spring/summer treat, but modern groceries carry many of these berries all year long. Dewberries, blackberries, or blueberries can be substituted for the raspberries in this frosty confection. Freezing time not included in preparation time. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 3 cups raspberries, crushed (reserve a few for garnish)
- 1⁄2 lb marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Heat marshmallows with two tablespoons of the juice from crushed berries over low heat.
- Stir constantly with a folding motion until marshmallows are half melted.
- Remove from heat and continue folding until mixture is smooth.
- Add berries, lemon juice and salt; pour into a metal pan and freeze.
- Stir once during the freezing.