Recipe by gailanng
This makes such a gorgeous presentation and even a novice can handle the prep. Something for Christmas or Easter morning, brunch, dessert or simply to make any day special. From Rachel Ray.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup marzipan or 1⁄4 cup almond paste
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed and refrigerated
- 4 teaspoons raspberry jam
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 -2 tablespoon heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese and marzipan at high speed for 1 minute. Beat in 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar. Beat in the egg yolk, vanilla and salt.
- Place the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface and roll out to form a 10-inch square; cut into 4 equal squares and place on the prepared baking sheet. Dollop the cream cheese mixture evenly in the center of each square; top with 1 teaspoon jam. In a small bowl, beat the egg white with a fork, then lightly brush some of it onto the pastry. Lift 2 opposite corners of each pastry and cross over the center, overlapping slightly; pinch to seal. Brush the tops with more egg white and sprinkle with the almonds. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a small bowl, stir the remaining 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar and the heavy cream with a fork until smooth; drizzle over the cooled pastries.