A tasty, yet simple, jam filled cookie spiked with a hint of lime!
Make and share this Raspberry Lime Rugalach recipe from Food.com.
- Cut butter into flour then mix it together until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Cut the cream cheese into small cubes and then "rub" into the flour/butter crumbs.
- Knead this mixture until it forms a ball.
- Separate the dough into two equal parts and wrap each part in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours (at least 4).
- To make fruit filling mix the raspberry jam together with sugar with the chopped toasted pecans and grated key lime peel.
- Pre heat oven to 350°F
- Once dough has chilled roll it out each half on a floured surface to about 9 or 10 inches. Then spread each dough circle with jam mixture.
- After you have spread the mixture of jam on the dough circles cut each circle out inot about 10-12 wedges. Then roll each wedge up tightly starting from the widest part of the dough.
- Put cookie rolls on a very lighty greased cookie sheet then brush the cookies with the egg whites and sprinkle with extra nuts. Then bake cookies for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Once cooled sprinkle powdered sugar over the cookies.
The taste of these was a definite 5-star! I really enjoyed the flaky pastry and the raspberry/pecan combination (I could not taste the lime). But, the instructions were a little problematic for me. The dough was too firm to work with after being refrigerated for 4 hours. Also, greasing the cookie sheets didn't prevent the cookies from sticking; I ended up with a nasty mess on my baking sheets. I checked a cookbook by Nick Malgieri whose ruglach dough recipe is identical, but his procedures were a little different: He suggests refrigerating the dough only as long as it takes to prepare the filling which would have made it easier to work with; and he suggests lining the baking sheets with parchment paper. I will try this yummy recipe again using Malgieri's methods which should solve my problems. :)
These were very easy and tasty! I like the addition of cream cheese (I used reduced-fat). I used sugar-free raspberry jam and Splenda (I only used 1/8 cup) I skipped the powdered sugar. These will be on my holiday list next year!
For someone who made a rugelach for the first, this turned out excellent! The pastry's so tasty and like the other reviewer's suggestion, I upped it with a tsp of lime juice since the jam was sweet. I used pecan for this since it's what the recipe calls for and having baked with pecans and walnuts, I prefer the former's taste. The dough pastry itself is marvelous, that I'll try it with other fillings too next time. Thank you for sharing this, Anme!