Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These cookies are in regular rotation at our house. The raspberry and lemon contrast nicely! I found this recipe at foodtv.com.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter 2 large baking sheets.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt and whisk to blend.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Beat in the egg yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Add the flour mixture in 2 additions and beat just until moist clumps form. Gather the dough together into a ball.
- Pinch off the dough to form 1-inch balls. Place on the prepared baking sheets, spacing 1-inch apart.
- Use your floured index finger or 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon to create depressions in the center of each ball. Fill each indentation with nearly 1/2 teaspoon of the jam mixture.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
These were really good. Although i was too lazy to add the lemon juice and just added the lemon zest, i think next time i'll add the juice for more of a prominent lemon flavor. But i do have to agree with SGpratt, i baked one batch at 20 minutes and they were really brown and crispy around the edges and almost rock hard. I even used a silpat. I baked a second batch and cut the baking time in half and it worked beautifully. I would have to say, i will be making these again.
These were very good. My only quibble is the baking time. I baked on standard cookie sheets, lightly greased with a combo of flour/shortening and the cookies were overdone at 18 minutes. I found that 12 minutes was a much better cooking time. Maybe just my cookie sheets. But the cookies were yummy! I recommend thinking about these cookies as more shortbread i.e. less sweet, than say a traditional cookie.
I was so excited to make these cookies because I love jelly filled cookies. So it really sucks that these cookies were not that great. They tasted too much like like flour. Not a sweet enough "cookie" flavor.