Recipe by Um Safia
This is a perfect Easter or spring time cake! Found in the Morrisons magazine - this cake looks so pretty!
Top Review by wingette
AMAZING!!!! This cake was a jaw dropper. It was beautiful to create, mouthwatering to smell and look at and just divine to eat. This cake will be remembered and re-created for many Easters to come. Thank you so much!!!
- 300 g caster sugar
- 350 g butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons almond essence
- 6 medium eggs, beaten
- 150 g ground almonds
- 300 g self raising flour
- 4 lemons, zest of, grated (optional)
For the Drizzle
- 150 g icing sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
For the Filling
- 300 ml double cream
- 150 g lemon curd
- 200 raspberries
For the Icing
- 300 g royal icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- yellow food coloring
For the Decoration
- mini chocolate egg (optional)
- fresh edible flower (optional)
- raspberries (optional)
- strawberry (optional)
- rose petal (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350°F Grease & flour two 20cm / 8" cake tins.
- Beat the sugar, butter & almond extract until pale & fluffy. Gradually the egg, then fold in the ground almonds, flour, lemon zest & juice.
- Spoon into the tins, smooth the top & bakes for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.
- Make a drizzle by mixing the icing sugar& lemon juice together. When the cake comes out of the oven, turn out onto a cooling rack set over a plate. Prick the cakes all over with a skewer & drizzle the syrup over. Set aside to cool/.
- Whip the cream & fold in the lemon curd. Set one cake on a plate, level the top if necessary & spoon the filling over the top. Sprinkle with the raspeberries & set the other cake on the top. Set aside.
- To make the icing, mix the lemon juice & icing sugar to make a spoonable thick paste. Use a few drops of colouring to get a nice pastel yellow colour & spoon evenly all over the top of the cake & round the sides. Run a pallet knife round the sides to neaten them up & make sure the icing is evenly distributed.
- Top with your choice of decorations - chocolate mini eggs, fresh fruit, flowers etc.