Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
These delicious lemon bars are wonderfully tart with a novel addition of a raspberry layer which goes perfectly well. We love them.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup raspberry preserves (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 9- inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine all the ingredients for the crust in a medium bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until a soft dough forms.
- Press evenly into the prepared pan.
- Chill for 10 minutes.
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes, then let cool in the baking pan for 15 minutes.
- Combine all the ingredients for the lemon topping in a bowl and whisk until blended.
- Spread the raspberry preserved evenly over the baked crust.
- Pour the lemon topping over the raspberry layer.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 325°F and bake for 20-25 minutes longer, or until the topping is set.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 1/2 hours before cutting.
- Store at room temperature, or in the refrigerator if you prefer chilled squares.
These bars are great for those who love lemon. I did not have much luck cutting the bars up after they baked. I followed the instructions and even let them stay overnight in the fridge before cutting. They kinda fell apart and it was a bit messy. I also felt the bottom layer was a bit too chunky, but that is just my opinion. If you are not much of a lemon fan, but would like just a faint lemon taste cut out the extract!
These bars were lovely.Will make them again.