Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
from Gourmet magazine, December, 2000. Super Simple and tastes wonderful! Top with either whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- 2 cups sliced natural almonds
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 5⁄8 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces (1 1/4 sticks)
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons beaten eggs
- 1 cup raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Reserve 1/4 cup almonds in a bowl for topping. Finely grind remaining 1 3/4 cups nuts with sugar in a food processor.
- Add butter, flour, and salt, then process until mixture resembles sand. Add 1 cup flour mixture to reserved almonds. Add beaten egg to remaining flour mixture and pulse until mixture begins to clump together.
- Transfer mixture from processor to a 9- by 1-inch round tart pan with a removable bottom. Press mixture with floured fingers onto bottom and up side of pan and bake in middle of oven 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir raspberry jam to loosen. Rub reserved almond mixture in bowl between your palms to form small clumps.
- Remove tart shell from oven and spread jam over bottom. Sprinkle almond mixture over jam and bake tart 15 minutes. Cool tart in pan on a rack. Loosen side of pan with a knife, then remove it.
I made this as a Christmas present for my teenage brother. It was gone 15 minutes after I put it in front of him on the table. So I made another one for the rest of the family, and it was heavenly!