Recipe by Tish
A memory from past family gatherings. You can use the jam of your choice.
Top Review by waynejohn1234
Thanks Tish for a trip back to childhood. Too bad I had forgotten this wonderful comfort food and this recipe is very good. Because we do not care for anything too sweet I have to cut back on sugar (it does not affect the recipe) and use apricot jam. Thanks again for bringing back lovely memories of home.
- 3 cups toasted bread
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups milk, scalded
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 3⁄4 cup raspberry jam (or the jam of your choice)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place bread cubes in a 2 quart casserole.
- Beat 2 eggs with 2 egg yolks, reserving 2 egg whites for merinqe.
- Gradually beat scalded milk into eggs.
- Beat in 1/2 cup sugar, salt, vanilla, and butter.
- Pour milk mix over bread cubes.
- Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 25 minutes.
- Spread jam evenly over top of pudding.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Beat in sugar, 1 Tbs at a time, until merinque is stiff and glossy Pile meringe over jam, making sure to spread merinque to edge of dish.
- Bake for another 15 minutes.