Recipe by cqbent
NOTES: The purpose of this recipe is to capture the essence of the fresh raspberries in the ice cream. I modified this recipe from an original Ben & Jerry's recipe (b&j called for 1 1/2 cups sugar--too sweet for my taste and would dilute the raspberry flavor; also they used 2 whole eggs instead of 3 egg whites. I find egg whites are better in that they add a creamy thick texture without imparting an eggy taste to the ice cream as egg yolks do)
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 3 egg whites
- 1 pint fresh raspberry
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- mix raspberries with 1/3 cup sugar and lemon juice.
- refrigerate raspberry mix for 2 hrs, stirring every 1/2 hour.
- beat egg whites until light and frothy.
- mix rest of sugar into egg whites.
- mix in cream and milk to egg white mix.
- mash raspberry mix and strain liquid into cream/egg mix.
- either discard raspberry pulp and seeds or add to mix for added texture and taste (I recommend adding).
- refrigerate mix overnight or add immediately to ice cream maker.
- follow ice cream maker's instructions.