Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep8 hrs 30 mins
These are a great way to use fresh raspberries. Prep time includes refrigeration/freezing time (8 hours). Cooking time incudes processing time. (Recipe source: Bon Appetit (July 1984)
- Heat sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat, swirling pan occasionally until sugar disolves. Increase heat to medium and boil for 5 minutes. DO NOT STIR. Cool completely.
- Puree 1 quart berries with lemon juice in a food processor and then pour puree in a medium bowl. Stir in cream and the cooled sugar/water syrup. Let stand at room temperature for at least one hour.
- Strain raspberry mixture into a large bowl and then cover and refrigerate until well chilled (at least 4 hours but is best prepared one day ahead).
- Process mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacture's directions.
- Freeze ice cream in a covered container until firm (1-2 hours).
- For ice cream balls, line a baking sheet with waxed paper and scoop ice cream into balls and place on prepared cookie sheet. Freeze until firm (2-4 hours).
- To serve: mound ice cream balls in glass bowl and surround with fresh raspberries and/or a fresh mint leaf.