Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
Volunteer 8 TV, Chef Walter
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup seedless raspberry preserves
- 1 cup granola cereal
- Beat together shortening, ¼ cup of sugar, and salt until light and fluffy.
- Add almond extract and 2 egg yolks.
- Slowly mix in flour until fully combined.
- Spread this mixture over the bottom of a 9x13 pan, coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Spread preserves over crust immediately after removing it from the oven.
- Sprinkle with granola.
- Beat the egg whites until they are foamy.
- Add remaining ½ cup of sugar until, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread egg white mixture on top of granola.
- Bake at 350° for additional 25 minutes.
- Cool completely and cut into bars.
Mmm. This is a nice light snack or dessert. I didn't have raspberry preserves, so used my strawberry preserves instead. Delicious. The meringue on top gave it a fancy feel, but the granola has the homey comfort feel. A great combination.