1 hr 10 mins
Doc's Mom's Note:
From O, The Oprah Magazine Make brunch a leisurely affair with casseroles you can assemble the night before and bake the next day — after sleeping in.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 loaf day-old challah, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 6 large eggs, divided
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces goat cheese, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup raspberry jam or 1 cup preserves
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9- by 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange half the bread in dish, overlapping and wedging pieces to cover the bottom.
- 2In a large bowl, whisk together 5 eggs, then add milk, cream, 2 tablespoons. sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, and salt and whisk again. Pour half of custard over bread in dish, letting it soak in thoroughly. Set remaining custard aside.
- 3To make filling, use a handheld or stand mixer to beat together goat cheese, cream cheese, butter, remaining egg, and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a large bowl until soft and fluffy, about 1 minute. Drop half of filling over bread in large spoonfuls, gently spreading it out with the back of the spoon. Repeat process with half of jam. Arrange remaining bread in a layer, then repeat process with custard, goat cheese filling, and jam. Swirl a butter knife through the top layers of cheese and jam to create a decorative design. (At this point, the strata can be baked immediately or covered and refrigerated overnight.).
- 4Bake for about 50 minutes, or until the strata is puffed, firmly set, and golden brown. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes, then dust with confectioners’ sugar, cut into squares, and serve.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raspberry Goat Cheese Breakfast Strata
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 655.4
- Calories from Fat 319
- Total Fat 35.5 g
- Saturated Fat 20.1 g
- Cholesterol 258.7 mg
- Sodium 574.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 30.0 g
- Protein 19.0 g