Recipe by Juliesmom
An unusual Pennsylvania Dutch recipe: a cake in a pastry shell with a delicious layer of sauce between.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen raspberries, thawed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 (9 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix
- 1 9" unbaked pie shell, with high fluted edge
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw the frozen raspberries and drain, reserving the liquid.
- In a saucepan, combine the butter, sugar, 1/2 cup of the reserved raspberry liquid, and corn syrup.
- Cook, stirring, over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil, then cook for 2 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the drained raspberries; let cool to lukewarm.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the package directions, then turn the batter into the unbaked pie shell.
- Pour the lukewarm raspberry sauce gently over the cake batter.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.