Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box chocolate fudge cake mix with pudding
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen raspberries in light syrup, thawed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
Frosting and Garnish
- 3⁄4 cup ready to spread creamy chocolate frosting
- 1⁄2 pint fresh raspberry
- Heat oven to 350F (if using dark or nonstick pans, heat oven to 325F). Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans. In large bowl, beat all cake ingredients except chocolate chips with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat 2 minutes on medium speed. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into pans.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes. Remove from pans; place on cooling racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour. (Wrap and freeze 1 cake layer for a late use.).
- Meanwhile, to remove seeds from raspberries, place strainer over small saucepan; pour raspberries into strainer. Press raspberries through strainer with back of spoon to remove seeds; discard seeds. Stir sugar and cornstarch into raspberries until smooth. Cook over low heat until mixture is bubbly and thickened, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute. Place waxed paper or plastic wrap over surface of mixture; refrigerate 30 minutes or until cold. Fold in whipped cream.
- To assemble torte, place cake layer, to side down, on serving plate. Spread with thin layer of frosting. Top with raspberry cream, spreading to within 1/2 inch of edge. Frost sides of torte with remaining frosting. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
- Just before serving, arrange raspberries around top edge of torte. If desired, garnish with additional fresh raspberries and mint springs. Store torte in refrigerator.