Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Enjoy the tender sweetness of a Raspberry Crumble Muffin. This delectable gems are studded with ravishing red raspberries and topped with a buttery sweet crumble topping.
- 1 large egg
- 118.29 ml milk
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil
- 4.92 ml fresh lemon zest (see note below)
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml fresh raspberry
- 177.44 ml all-purpose flour, sifted
- 59.14 ml brown sugar
- 78.07 ml oatmeal, dry
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 118.29 ml butter, cold
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- MUFFINS: Beat together the egg, milk, lemon zest and oil in a medium bowl.
- Mix together in a separate bowl the baking powder, white sugar, 1.5 cups sifted flour and 1/2 t. salt. Stir into the wet ingredients just until the dry ingredients are moist, about 8 rotations. Add raspberries; stir about 2-3 more times.
- Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full.
- STREUSEL TOPPING: Stir together the remaining flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and oatmeal. Cut in with a pastry blender the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle topping over each muffin.
- Bake 20-25 minutes. Remove from pan immediately. Makes about 12.
- NOTE: The key to making a truly tender muffin is in NOT overmixing your batter. Stir it as little as possible. It's OK if the batter is somewhat unevenly mixed; it "corrects" itself in baking. Sifting the dry ingredients lends to the light texture, so don't neglect this step, either. Use either a traditional sifter, or a mesh strainer to sift your ingredients.
- Try a Microplane grater for your lemon zest, or a Messermeister zester/channel tool. I find these to be the easiest way to get fresh zest from citrus. Use only the colorful exterior of the lemon-- the white peel part adds only bitterness.
I baked these up today and froze some. I loved the topping. I could not find fresh raspberries so I had not choice to use frozen and it worked fine. Another great PAC choice for 07.
My daughter and I made these last night. quick, easy and had everything on hand! We love them. Thanks for the recipe. We will be making these again. :)