Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I think this was in Southern Living, it was cut out of a magazine and that's all I have. Nice cake for company and with coffee.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water or 1⁄4 cup raspberry juice
- 2 tablespoons water or 2 tablespoons raspberry juice
- 1 cup fresh picked over raspberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mace (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter or 1⁄2 cup unsalted margarine
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 3⁄4 lb frozen sweetened raspberries, thawed & pureed
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, water and raspberries in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until sauce is thickened and clear.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Set aside to cool.
- Combine 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and mace(if using) in a food processor or mixing bowl.
- Cut in 1/2 the butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add egg, milk, & vanilla extract and mix until well blended.
- Spread half the batter in an 8" square baking pan.
- Spread raspberry filling over batter.
- Spread remaining batter over filling.
- Combine remaining flour and sugar in mixing bowl.
- Cut in remaining butter.
- Stir in almonds.
- Spread topping over cake.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
- Serve cake in a pool of raspberry puree.