A cake spiced with cinnamon and mace, a yummy filling featuring raspberries and a crunchy almond topping assure this tempting treat will brighten any buffet. It's delicious home-made goodness will bring folks back for seconds!
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups fresh raspberries or 2 cups frozen unsweetened raspberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 cup cold butter or 1 cup margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, water and raspberries.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in lemon jice.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the first six crust ingredients.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Beat eggs, milk and vanilla; add to crumb mixture and mix well.
- Spread two thirds of the mixture into a greased 13X9X2 inch baking dish.
- Spoon raspberry filling over crust to within 1 inch of the edges.
- Top with remaining crust mixture.
- For topping, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly.
- Stir in almonds.
- Sprinkle over the top.
- Bake at 350*F for 50 to 55 minutes or until lightly browned.
From Taste of Home, this is a fabulous recipe. The cake layer is moist and rich, but not too sweet. I ued freshly picked raspberries (and enjoyed the seeds!), but had no mace, so subbed a few shakes of nutmeg. I sprinkled the almonds over the top rather than mixed them into the final layer. A very impressive treat!
Moist, not overly sweet & very much like a coffee cake! I chose this recipe to use up 2 cups of frozen raspberries left from another recipe; however, I was out of almonds so I substituted with chopped walnuts. I wish I'd put the mixture through a strainer to remove the seeds as I hate getting them stuck in my teeth. Thanx MarieAlice!