This is one of my favorite coffeecakes. It is pretty and it taste wonderful! Warm the jam slightly and it will spread easier. Using the sour cream and milk mixture makes it even more tender.
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter (light stick butter works fine!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream (or 1/2 cup sour cream and 1/4 cup milk combined, I use light sour cream & 1% milk)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- 8 ounces cream cheese (light cream cheese or neufchatel cheese works fine)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup raspberry jam (I use sugar free)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and 3/4 cup sugar. Using pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 cup of crumbs.
- To remaining crumb mixture, add baking powder, baking soda, salt, sour cream, almond extract, and 1 egg. Blend well.
- Spread batter over bottom and 1 1/2 inches up sides of greased and floured 9 inch springform pan. Batter should be about 1/4 inch thick on sides.
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 egg. Blend well.
- Pour in batter lined pan.
- Spoon jam over cream cheese mixture. In a small bowl, combine reserved crumbs and sliced almonds. Sprinkle over jam.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes.
This coffee cake is truly exceptional! I have made it 3 times in the past week and it has been loved by every one who has tried it. The last time I made it, I used cherry jam as I was all out of raspberry from the 2 times prior I'd made it.LOL I expect it would be good with just about any jam in the filling. Next time, the only change I will make is not to incorporate any sugar in the cream cheese mixture - the jam is really sweet enough and sits directly on top. Thank you so much for this recipe, Marg. I can tell it's going to become a classic in my kitchen.
Delicious! I used a square pan instead of a round one, and it came out great! Thanks, Marg!
Great recipe! All the reviews I read prior to making it were correct. I substituted several ingredients (like chopped pecans instead of sliced almonds) to accommodate what I had on hand. It turned out great! I love it, my family loves it, I will be making this one again and again. I look forward to experimenting with different flavors too. I'm thinking about trying something with pumpkin. YUM!!!