Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Crumbly coffee cake
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup fresh raspberry
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and coat an 8? round baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Using a fork, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Stir in the milk, egg, orange rind, and vanilla - stir until the dry ingredients are just moistened. Spoon or pour half of the batter into the baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the raspberries with the orange juice and spoon the mixture evenly over top of the batter in the pan. Carefully pour the remaining batter on top of the berries.
- Bake until the coffee cake slightly begins to “shrink” from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (about 25 minutes).