Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is one of my favourite recipes. My kids take it to school in their lunches and also for fund raising events. This will leave people coming back for more. I've tweaked the original recipe. You can use raspberry jam, strawberry jam or your favourite.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar (fine sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup self-raising flour
- 2⁄3 cup plain flour (all purpose)
- 1⁄2 cup raspberry jam (or your favourite)
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup caster sugar (fine sugar)
- 4 cups coconut
- Beat butter, sugar and egg in a mixing bowl with electric mixer until combined. Stir in sifted flours.
- Spread mixture over base of a greased 19cm x 29cm slice pan. I like to line it with baking paper. This makes it easier to remove once it's cooled.
- Bake at 180c or 350°F for about 10 minutes.
- Spread hot base with raspberry jam, or jam of your choice.
- Combine 4 eggs, caster sugar and coconut in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Spread over base and cook for a further 25 - 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Once cooled slice into desired size slices. This keeps well in the pantry in an air tight container. If serving to friends and family this wont last long.
For some odd reason, this recipe gave me some trouble. After baking the base for 12 minutes, it still seemed a tad soft, so much so I could not spread the jam on top. Endded up heating the raspberry preserves up so that I could easily pour them on. Then it became clear that four cups of coconut would over flow my slice pan so I scald back to three cups. After baking for 30 minutes the top had a lovely color and I removed them to cool. On beginning to cut the slices, I realized the bottom was still rather raw. Covered the pan and returned it to the oven for annother 12 minutes. Still a bit doughy, but certainly better. The really good news is that the slices are really quite good even with the trouble. And, I think the reduced amount of coconut was just right as more would have overtaken the raspberry filling. I think next time (I will try again and rereview) I will bake the bottom 20 minutes. Thanks Mum.