Prep 35 mins
Cook 50 mins
These tasty bars are a takeoff on my all-time favorite lemon bars. I found this recipe in the June, 1994 issue of Better Homes and Gardens.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely fresh shredded orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh raspberries (or combination) or 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries (or combination)
- powdered sugar
- For the crust, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds to soften.
- Add the 3/4 C powdered sugar.
- Beat until combined.
- Add the 2 cups flour; beat until combined.
- Press mixture onto the bottom of a greased 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 20 minutes or till golden.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, granulated sugar, lemon juice, orange zest, the 1/4 C flour, and baking powder.
- Beat for 2 minutes with an electric mixer till combined.
- Sprinkle berries over crust.
- Pour filling over berries, arranging berries evenly with a spoon.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 30-35 minutes or till light brown and filling is set.
- Cool thoroughly in the pan on a wire rack.
- Cut into bars.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- To store, cover and chill for up to 2 days.
- Make-ahead tip: Place cut bars into a storage container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw, covered, in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
Really, really delish! I did not use orange peel because of personal preference, and the lemon was just right for us! These are very tasty. But I must say that I wish they weren't so high in fat! (Because it's more like 16 servings, not 30!)
Fabulous! I made this for my mother's book group who, I was told, "doesn't eat much." Well, she served it to them (right, they don't eat much!) and then kept it for her bridge group. Luckily, I got an early taste. The orange flavor is a great surprise. I used raspberries and Reynolds Release foil. No powdered sugar on top (still Fabulous!).
Yum!!!!! I made these with blueberries. The orange peel really adds a unique and delicious flavor. Thanks for sharing this one!