Recipe by CocinaCubana
Feather-light dough with sweet, spicy filling. From Stevia Sweet Recipes: Sugar-Free-Naturally!
- 1 teaspoon stevia powder
- 1 tablespoon applesauce
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 (8 ounce) packet dry yeast
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4-3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugarfree all-fruit raspberry jelly
- 1⁄2 cup currants
Directions See How It's Made
- Cobine stevia, applesauce, and water in a medium bowl. Sprinkle in yeast and soften 10 minutes.
- Stir in oil, egg, salt, and whole wheat flour. Beat 3 minutes. Mix and knead in unbleached flour, using more as needd to form soft dough.
- Oil bowl. Turn dough in bowl to oil top. Cover and chill 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough and roll on a floured surface to a 12 inch square. Use water to dampen a 1/2 inch wide strip along one side. Spread remaining surface with butter and raspberry spread. Sprinkle with cinnamon and currants. Stat with edge opposite dampened edge and roll dough. Press dampened edge to to seal.
- Cut into 12 pieces and place in an oiled 9 inch square baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double, about 40 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F for 15-18 minutes. Cool 5 minutes, turn out and serve hot.
- Variation: For blueberry rolls, use 1 cup Blueberry Jam and omit currants.