Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Raspberries and chocolate make a special blend. It is one of my favorite flavor combinations. Although this dessert takes a little while to prepare, it is luscious and beautiful to present at a dinner party. Plus, everything can be done in advance.
For the crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 large egg yolk
- 6 tablespoons raspberry jam
For the filling
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 pints fresh raspberries
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- For the crust: In a medium bowl stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa and salt.
- Using fingertips, work in the butter until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add water and egg yolk and mix with a fork until well combined.
- Gather up the dough and form into a rectangle and chill at least 20 minutes and up to 4 days.
- If made in advance let soften slightly before rolling out.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Butter and flour a 13+3/4x4inch tart pan with 1 inch sides and a removable bottom.
- Roll out the dough to a 15x6 inch rectangle, between two sheets of plastic wrap or wax paper.
- Peel off one sheet of wrap and invert the dough into the prepared pan, pressing evenly to fit.
- Freeze until firm, about 10 minutes, Peel off second sheet.
- Trim edges.
- Line crust with foil will with pie weights and bake until crust is set, about 12 minutes.
- Remove foil and weights.
- Bake until crust begins to darken around the edges, piercing with a toothpick if it starts to bubble up, about 12 minutes more.
- Remove from oven, spread jam over crust and bake about 3 minutes longer until jam is set.
- Cool completely on a rack.
- For the filling: In a small heavy saucepan, bring whipping cream to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate, whisking until melted and smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until chilled but not firm, about 45 minutes.
- With an electric mixer, beat the chocolate-cream mixture until very thick and semi firm.
- Spread over jam in crust.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Before serving, arrange raspberries on top of chocolate.
- Combine sugar and cocoa and sift over tart.