Recipe by Swan Valley Tammi
From a little pamphlet called BakeFest Holiday Baking 1998, these pretty much always just get made at Christmas time. I'm not sure why, but DH always requests them then and for whatever reason, I don't really think about making them any other time of year. A shame, really..... (prep and cook times do not include cooling period before frosting)
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄3 cup raspberry jam
- 1 (300 ml) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix together flour and sugar. With pastry cutter, cut in margarine until the size of peas.
- Stir in egg yolk and mix thoroughly. Press into 9-inch square baking pan.
- Bake at 350F for 18-20 minutes or until starting to brown.
- Spread jam over crust while still warm.
- In a medium bowl, combine condensed milk and coconut; spoon over jam and spread gently.
- Return to oven and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and set. Let cool completely.
- Melt together margarine and chocolate. Spread over coconut layer, smoothing with a knife. (Score chocolate, as it may make cutting into neat squares later difficult if you don't.) Refrigerate.
- Remove from fridge 15 minutes before slicing and serving.