Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
I made this cake this morning and I used just the applesauce instead of any oil. It did make the cake a bit heavier. I used strawberry preserves instead of raspberry. I am also going to garnish the cake inside and on top with strawberry slices. I also made a Chocolate Butter Cream Icing. The original recipe for the butter cream comes from veganchef.com If you can't find cake flour you can make your own. Take 1 3/4 cups flour and combine with 1/4 cup cornstarch. You can double this if the recipe calls for more then this amount. I didn't include the time it takes to make the butter cream icing in this recipe.
For the cake
- 3 cups cake flour (I made my own by combining spelt flour and arrowroot flour)
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda (non-aluminum)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup organic cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup light oil
- 1⁄2 cup raspberry preserves
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 2 ounces unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups water (mix with the vinegar)
For the Butter Cream Icing
- 1⁄2 cup softened soy margarine (Earth Balance)
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk
- 3 cups vegan powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons organic vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup melted semisweet vegan chocolate chips (I used white and dark)
- For the cake:.
- Preheat your oven to 350'F. Grease and flour two 8" baking pans.
- Mix the first 5 ingredients together, then combine the wet ingredients in a separate bowl and mix into the dry.
- I used my Kitchen Aid mixer to do this as it really beats the batter good. Beat for 1-2 minutes until everything is blended. I found the batter to be quite watery.
- Pour into your prepared pans and bake on the middle rack in your oven for about 30 minutes.
- Use a toothpick to test the middle, if it comes out clean then the cakes are done.
- Allow the cakes to cool for about 10 minutes and then invert onto wire racks and cool completely.
- For the Butter Cream:.
- Cream the margarine and soy milk together in a mixer bowl.
- Add half the powdered sugar and blend well. Add the remaining ingredients and beat with the electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- To Assemble the Cake.
- Once the cakes are cooled, place one of the cakes onto a serving plate and top with about 1/2 cup of your fruit preserves.
- Spread one side of the other cake with the butter cream frosting and put the two pieces together so the frosting and preserves are in the middle of the cake.
- You might want to add fresh fruit inside, but that's up to you.
- Frost the top and sides of the cake and enjoy.
- Bon Appetit!
- Tip: You can increase the decadence by eliminating the apple sauce and use 3/4 cup of oil, or decrease the fat by eliminating the oil all together and add an extra 1/4 cup of apple sauce. This will lighten the calories but make the cake heavier.