Recipe by HM in Canada
A nice, slightly spicey chicken, with a not-too-sweet red wine applesauce topping.
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup raspberry red wine vinegar (or add to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup (or add to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (or add to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
Red Wine Applesauce topping
- 2 cups red wine
- 1⁄2 cup cream or 1⁄2 cup condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon chopped gingerroot
- 2 apples
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened apricot jam or 1 tablespoon unsweetened apricot marmalade
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened guava jam (replaceable with any desired jam)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour the olive oil into a bowl, and add the raspberry vinegar, maple syrup, and worcestershire sauce to taste. Add 1 or 2 teaspoons of thyme and chili pepper flakes for desired taste.
- Put chicken breasts into a plastic bag (up to 3 for the given measurements), mix the marinade well, and pour over the chicken. Seal plastic bag and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours.
- Mix red wine, cream, and chopped ginger into a bowl, and refrigerate for 3 or 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and brown the exterior in a frying pan. Then transfer the chicken breasts to a baking sheet and bake in an oven for 10 to 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Throw marinade away.
- Remove the chopped ginger from the red wine sauce and throw away. Pour the redwine and cream mixture into the frying pan. Add the apricot and guava jams, and mix thoroughly. Cut apples into wedges, peel, and microwave in a bowl for up to 2.5 minutes. Mash the apples with a fork and add to the frying pan. Again, mix thoroughly, then allow the sauce to simmer on minimum until thick.
- Top chicken with sauce and serve hot.