Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My husband loves grilling in the summertime, and this is one of my family's favorite grilled sandwiches. The recipe makes a delightful raspberry flavored barbecue sauce for the grilled chicken breasts. Of course you can substitute your favorite flavor of preserves. This is a Taste of Home recipe. After posting this recipe, I can proudly give credit to the wonderful chef who submitted this recipe to TOH - it's our own Chef Peacefulnightdove! Thank you so much for sharing this delicious recipe with us!!
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 3⁄4 cup raspberry preserves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 6 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 24 slices French bread
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 12 slices muenster cheese, halved
- shredded lettuce
- 12 slices tomatoes
- Combine the chili sauce, preserves, vinegar and mustard in a saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Set aside 1 c of the sauce for drizzling on the sandwich.
- Flatten the breasts to 1/4" thick and cut in half widthwise.
- Place in a resealable plastic bag; add 2 T oil, salt and pepper.
- Turn the sealed bag to coat.
- Grill the chicken over medium heat until the juices run clear (about 5-7 minutes per side), basting often with the remaining sauce.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and keep it warm.
- Using the 1/2 c of oil, brush on both sides of each piece of bread.
- Grill until lightly browned on one side.
- Turn the bread over and top each slice with a piece of cheese.
- Grill until the bottom of the bread is lightly toasted and cheese is slightly melted.
- To make each sandwich, top half of the slices of bread with a piece of chicken, lettuce, tomato and drizzle on some of the 1 c raspberry sauce.
- Top with the remaining slices of bread.
Heavenly!! One of DH and I's favorite sandwiches. The sauce is divine. I skinnied the recipe just a bit, using half reduced calorie jam mixed with regular raspberry jam and a lowfat swiss in place of the muenster cheese. I highly suggest grilling the chicken outdoors, as the smokey/flame mixes so wonderfully with the raspberry sauce. I double the sacue as well, and very glad I did.
Wonderful, we made these today and it was great!! Very easy to make and the flavors were fantastic. Honestly not a combo I would have thought of, but I am so glad we tried this. It goes right into the favorites cookbook. Great for weekend lunch. Pac-Fall07