Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Need I say anything? Ok, I will. These are heaven. Cook time does not include chill time.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shortening or 1⁄2 cup butter flavor shortening
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup seedless raspberry preserves or 1 cup jam, not jelly
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- Combine flour, sugar and the 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds in a medium bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Set aside 1/2 cup for topping.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into bottom of an ungreased 13" by 9" by 1" baking pan.Bake in a 350* oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Beat cream cheese, granulated sugar, eggs and almond extract in another bowl with a mixer on low speed until smooth. Spread cream cheese mixture over hot pie crust and return to oven to bake for 15 more minutes.
- Stir preserves or jam until smooth. Spread over hot cream cheese. Combine the reserved crumb mixture, coconut and second 1/2 cup almonds and sprinkle over preserves.
- Bake about another 15 minutes or untiltopping is golden brown. Cool in pan. Cover and chill in refrigerator for at least 3 hours before cutting into bars.
- Store, covered, in refrigerator.