Recipe by Olha
This cake can also be filled with 3 cups of softened ice cream, rolled and stored in the freezer for a variation.
Top Review by NataschAnn
This cake had good potential, but didn't turn out as I'd hoped. The filling was not nearly sweet enough. I liked the cream cheese flavor to the filling, but it was somewhat overpowering. I think if some sugar were added, during the mixing of the filling, it would have made this cake a 4.
- 6 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sifted cake flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon sifted cake flour (not self-rising cake and pastry flour)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipped topping, divided
- 2 cups fresh raspberries, divided
- additional lemon peel
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites, lemon juice and salt on low speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, beating on medium high speed until soft peaks form. Combine flour and lemon peel; gradually fold into egg white mixture 1/4 cup at a time.
- Line a greased 15 inch x 10 inch x 1 inch baking pan with waxed paper or parchment paper; grease the paper. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake at 350°F for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in center. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Cover with waxed paper, then a kitchen towel and baking sheet or bread board. Invert pan so cake lies flat on towel. Gently peel away greased waxed paper from the cake and discard. Beginning with narrow side, roll cake with towel, keeping towel and waxed paper pressed to underside of cake. Place rolled cake on rack to cool.
- For filling, combine cream cheese, vanilla and 2 Tablespoons of whipped topping in a bowl. Gently fold in remaining whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Carefully unroll cake on a flat surface. With a spatula, spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 inch of edges. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups raspberries. Using towel to lift edge of cake, gently roll as before, this time pulling away towel and waxed paper. Place cake roll with seam side down on serving platter. Chill. Garnish with remaining raspberries and lemon peel. Serve chilled. Yield: 12 servings.
- Taste of Home.