Inge 1505's Note:
A typical cake served at German coffee tables. You can use any 11 in round form, though it is usually baked in a special 28 cm (11 in) low form, that, when turned upside down, will have a low rim to keep fruit from falling off the cake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For cake batter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 6 tablespoons sugar (75 grams)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar (sub with 1 t vanilla extract plus 1 tbs sugar)
- 1 pinch salt
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour (50 grams)
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch (50 grams)
For jelly (or use raspberry jelly)
- 1NOTE: The jelly topping is optional, and many people don't like it because it is rather flavorless. It helps to fix the berries in place and keep them fresh longer. You can leave it completely or use a store-bought raspberry jelly, heated until liquid and pour this over fruit.
- 2Grease round 11 in (28 cm) form and dust with flour or fine dry breadcrumbs.
- 3Preheat oven to 350°F (180 C).
- 4Separate eggs. Beat egg whites with salt until stiff but not dry. Set aside.
- 5In a large bowl beat egg yolks with water until foamy and light in color. Gradually add sugar and vanilla. Beat until sugar is dissolved and batter is increased in volume.
- 6Mix flour and cornstarch, sift over egg yolks. Give egg whites on flour.
- 7With a rubber spatula carefully fold egg whites and flour into egg yolks just until blended.
- 8Pour batter in form and bake in the lower third of the oven for 18-22 minutes until golden yellow. Let rest in the turned-off oven for another 15 minutes.
- 9Remove cake from form and let cool completely. You can prepare ahead until this step and keep well wrapped cake for a day or freeze.
- 10For jelly (optional, see note on top), soak gelatin in 2 Tbs cold water for 10 minutes. Heat over low heat until liquid. Add 2 Tbs sugar and rest of water and heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool until it is just pourable (20-30 minutes).
- 11For topping, whip the cream with 1 Tbs sugar until stiff*(for stabilizing cream, see note at the bottom). Put 1/4 of cream aside for decoration and spread rest evenly on cake.
- 12Arrange raspberries on top of cream. Pour jelly over fruit. Let jelly set for 30 minutes. Garnish cake with leftover whipped cream.
- 13Serve immediately, cut into 12 wedges.
- 14NOTE: If you can't serve it right away stabilize cream before assembling the cake:.
- 15Soak 1 teaspoon gelatin 10 minutes in 2 Tbs cold water. Heat until just dissolved. Let cool until barely warm. Stir in about 1/4 cup whipped cream. Fold this quickly but carefully into the rest of the cream (volume will deflate somewhat).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raspberry Cake ( German )
Serving Size: 1 (204 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 453.6
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 166.8 mg
- Sodium 96.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 32.7 g
- Protein 7.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: