Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a moist one layer cake that makes a stunning presentation. The raspberries topping the cake hold their shape and position when the cake bakes. I've also made this cake using blackberries and it's just as pretty and delicious, either as a coffee cake or a dessert cake.
- *Note:if using frozen raspberries, thaw them on paper towels for 3 hours before putting them on cake batter.
- Preheat oven to 350°; grease a 9"x9" baking pan.
- Cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar; add the egg and beat well; mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together; alternate adding dry mixture and buttermilk to creamed mixture.
- Pour into baking pan and cover with the raspberries, starting in the center; place berries, point up, in concentric circles until cake is covered (berries will hold their shape and position as the cake bakes); sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean; serve with a dollop of whipped topping or whipped cream on the side.
No clue what I did wrong here. Maybe filled the cake pan too full? While baking, the batter closed in and completely covered the beautifully decorated raspberries on top of the cake. It was like a tidal wave but the batter did not run over the sides so I dont think I really over filled the cake tin. No visible berries after the tidal wave!. After 45 minutes @350 still not cooked completely. Took it out after 55 minutes. My cake has turned out more like a raspberry cobbler type of dessert. However, all being said it was delicious and I served it like a cobbler with ice cream. However that was not what I had in mind when I attempted the cake. I must have made a huge error someplace along the line........I am rating it a 2 but admit that it tasted great but it is not one that I will attempt again- unless someone could tell me what they think might have gone wrong here. Followed recipe to the letter ( at least I think I did) A disappointment for me.
This cake was phenomenal! I cannot believe how moist it was! I really believe that the buttermilk made the difference! It was not too sweet but a perfect light dessert! The cake batter did overtake the berries, but I didn't mind it. This cake was easy to make and a crowd pleaser! I will definitely make this again.
I made this cake this morning, it was awesome! Just the right balance between berries and cake. After reading the reviews and the mention of the cake being a tad dry, I added 4 teaspoons of vanilla yogurt to the batter. Thank you soooo much for sharing, I'll be making this again.(and again)