Recipe by winkki
This has been in my recipe box so long I have no idea where it originated, but the card is so battered (literally :o) that you can tell it's a real favorite. It starts with easy packaged biscuit mix and makes a beautiful breakfast, brunch, or gift. The finished braid looks much more difficult than it is and is always well received. You can change the jam to whatever flavor you prefer (someday I want to try it with a cheese danish filling, too...mmmm!)
Top Review by cabrals
Awesome recipe! I love this for potlucks, teas, coffee hours, etc. It's also great for bake sales. Not too expensive to make but always sells fast! I make a cardboard bottom and drizzle with the topping. My mom always makes this with sliced almonds sprinkled along the top. A classy breakfast or dessert.
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 cups packaged biscuit mix
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup raspberry jam
- 1 cup powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut cream cheese and butter into biscuit mix until crumbly.
- Add in milk; blend.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead 8-10 times.
- Roll dough out to 8"x12" rectangle (waxed paper works well underneath, esp for next step) Turn onto greased baking sheet (remove the paper!) Spread jam down the center of the dough.
- Make 2-1/2" cuts at 1" intervals in from each long edge (like fringe going down the long sides) Fold strips in over filling, overlapping as needed.
- Bake at 425 for 12-15 min.
- Cool slightly.
- Combine powdered sugar with enough rum or milk to achieve drizzling consistency (approx 1-1/2 to 2 T) and drizzle over the top of the braid.