Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Layers of a healthy sweetness.
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon water, hot
- 3 cups raspberry sorbet, softened
- chocolate-covered espresso beans
- Preheat oven to 275*.
- Spray an 11x15-inch baking sheet.
- Cut a piece of parchment or wax paper to fit the cookie sheet.
- Using an 8 or 9-inch cake pan, trace 2 circles on the paper.
- Invert paper onto baking sheet and set aside.
- Place egg whites,cornstarch, sugar and vanilla into mixing bowl.
- Beat with an electric beater for 3-4 minutes, until medium-stiff peaks form. With a rubber spatula spread meringue onto paper, just inside traced circles.
- Smooth tops and bake for 60 to 75 minutes, until surface is quite dry.
- Remove from oven and let cool down for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine coffee-powder,and cocoa.
- Add water and stir until smooth.
- When meringue is cool, carefully turn them over and peel away paper.
- Trim edges of meringue with a serrated knife, if necessary to fit in the cake pan. Place one meringue in the pan.
- Place about one cup of softened sorbet in a small bowl, with the coca-coffee mixture and stir well.
- Stir remaining 2 cups of sorbet until smooth and is easily spreadable.
- Inmediately spread half of the plain sorbet over meringue layer in pan and smooth the top.
- Repeat with half of the cocoa-sorbet mixture.
- Add the 2nd meringue layer, remaining raspberry sorbet, smoothing the top after each layer.
- Decorate with raspberries and chocolate covered espresso beans.
- Cover and freeze until firm, at least 1 hour.
- To serve, slide torte from pan onto serving plate using a thin spatula.
- Cut into portions with thin bland knife.