Recipe by ellie_
I came across this recipe looking for ideas to use fresh raspberries and although I haven't made it yet I hope too soon. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (September 1986)
Top Review by Dreamgoddess
I never would have thought of putting raspberries and pears together, but this was wonderful! The recipe was really easy to make and was delicious served warm topped with vanilla ice cream. Thanks for sharing!
For the crust
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening, cut into pieces (Crisco)
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- 6 tablespoons whole wheat flour
For the filling
- 2 1⁄2 lbs pears, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups raspberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
For the glaze
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- To make crust, combine 2 1/2 cups flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the butter and shortening until coarse meal forms. Mix in enough water to form soft dough.
- Sprinkle board with 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour. Turn dough onto board and divide in half. Wrap each half in plastic and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes.
- To make filling: combine pears, raspberries, 1 cup of sugar and 1/3 cup flour in a bowl, stir to combine. Let stand at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sprinkle pastry board with 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour. Roll one of the pastry halves into a 14-inch diameter round and then transfer to a 10-inch pie pan. Spoon filling into crust.
- Sprinkle board with 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour and roll second pastry half into a rectangle 1/8 inch thick and then cut it into 2-inch wide strips.
- Arrange strips on top of pie in lattice pattern, leaving over hang.
- Trim crust and strips to about 1/2 inch over hang.
- Fold lower crust over strip, pinching to seal and then crimp edges as desired.
- Put pie on top of baking sheet in case of spillovers and hen bake for 30-40 minutes. Brush pie with egg and then sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Continue baking another 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on rack.