Easy to make, impressive to look at and wonderful to eat. Perfect for special ocassions. The sponges can be made in advance and frozen.
- 150 g butter, softened plus extra for greasing
- 250 g plain flour, plus a little for dusting
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 275 g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 200 ml plain yogurt
- 2 lemon zest, only finely grated
- 250 g mascarpone
- 150 g lemon curd
- 400 g fresh raspberries
- icing sugar, to dust
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/GMk 4.
- Grease three 7in (18cm) sandwich tins with a little butter and dust with flour.
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy then add the eggs a little at a time and beat until well mixed.
- Alternately add the flour and yogurt, starting and ending with the flour to stabilise the mixture; stir in the lemon zest.
- Divide the mixture equally between the three tins and bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before removing. Do not assemble until the cake is completely cooled.
- Set aside the nicest layer for the top.
- Beat together the mascarpone and lemon curd until smooth.
- Spread the bottom layer with half of the mascarpone mixture and half of the raspberries. Top with the second cake layer and repeat.
- Add the top layer and dust liberally with icing sugar. Serve.