Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a very special 3 layer cake. Amazing flavours that will impress anyone! Serves a lot of people also.
- 500 g butter, softened
- 3 cups caster sugar
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups self raising flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted and finely chopped
- 400 g raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 400 g vienna almonds (optional, for decorating)
- 750 g mascarpone
- 300 g sour cream
- 1 cup icing sugar, mixture
- 80 ml Cointreau liqueur or 80 ml Grand Marnier
- Preheat oven to 160 degree C (or 140 degree C for fan forced).
- Grease a deep 30cm round cake tin and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric beater until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Beat until just combined.
- The mixture may appear curdled at this stage-don't worry!
- Transfer mix to very large bowl and fold in the sifted flours, almond meal and milk.
- Do it in 3 batches (1/3 flours, 1/3 milk etc) folding each batch inbetween.
- Fold in the chopped almonds and raspberries.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 150 degree C (or 130 degree C for fan forced) and bake for another hour or until cake tests cooked.
- Remove from oven and allow cake to stand for 20 minutes before removing from pan to cool on a cooling rack.
- To make the mascarpone cream, beat the mascarpone, sour cream and icing sugar with electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Stir in the liqueur.
- Split the cake crossways into 3 layers, using either a large serrated knife or special tool.
- Place the base onto a serving plate and spread with 1/3 of cream.
- Repeat layers ending with the mascarpone cream.
- Decorate the cake with the vienna almonds.
this is a great recipe, went down a treat when a load of my friends came over for coffee, and have lots left over for pudding for the kids. It's very dense without being stodgy, and tastes lovely. I used frosen summer fruits as thats all I had. I did need to cook it for about 2 and half hours. the recipe made me nervous at first as there were such a lot of ingredients. Will make it again for sure.