This is a great recipe I stumbled across on the inside of a Land O Lakes butter box! I remember thinking that it looked good but recipes inside boxes couldn't possibly be good. Boy was I wrong. This one gets more compliments. Be sure to use real butter and roll small balls as it will help your cookies look better. The prep time does not including cooking time or cooling time.
- Heat oven to 350°F
- In large mixer bowl combine sugar, butter, and almond extract.
- Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy (1 to 2 minutes).
- Reduce speed to low; add flour.
- Continue beating until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes).
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.
- With thumb, make indentation in center of each cookie (edges may crack slightly).
- Fill each indentation with about ¼ t. jam.
- Bake for 14 to 18 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Let stand 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet.
- In small bowl stir together powdered sugar and 1½ t. almond extract.
- Gradually stir in enough water for a thin glaze.
- Drizzle over cooled cookies.
- TIP: If cookies are spreading too much, chill dough 1 hour or stir in 1 to 2 T. flour.