Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
These delicate-shaped cookies look like miniature Danish pastries. The cream cheese filling, topped with glistening raspberry jam, is neatly enveloped in a tender sugar cookie. To make it easier to work with, the dough should stay slightly cool during the shaping process. If it becomes too warm, stop and place it in the refrigerator for 5 to 10 minutes before continuing. This makes 5 dozen cookies. Great for cookie exchange.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup raspberry preserves
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1⁄4-3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar
- Place all filling ingredients except preserves and almonds in food processor. (Filling and dough also can be made using mixer.) Process 10 to 20 seconds or until combined. Place in small bowl; cover and refrigerate while preparing dough.
- Place butter and 1 1/3 cups sugar in food processor. Pulse 10 times or until combined; process 10 to 20 seconds or until soft and creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; process until combined. In medium bowl, stir together 3 1/4 cups of the flour, baking powder and salt. Add half of the flour mixture to food processor; pulse briefly to combine. Add remaining flour mixture; pulse just until incorporated. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead briefly until smooth, adding up to an additional 1/4 cup flour if dough is too soft.
- Divide dough in half; press into flat rounds 1/2 inch thick. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 to 60 minutes or until firm.
- When ready to bake, heat oven to 350°F Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out 1 dough round to 1/8 inch thickness. With 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut dough into 24 circles; place on baking sheet. Spread each circle with about 3/4 teaspoon filling; place scant 1/2 teaspoon preserves in center. Sprinkle with a few almond slices. Pinch 2 sides together in middle (cookies will look like Danish pastry with cream cheese and raspberry filling peeking out). Repeat with remaining dough, rerolling excess dough. If dough becomes soft, place baking sheet in refrigerator until dough is firm before baking.
- Bake, one sheet at a time, 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown. Place cookies on wire rack; cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.