Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Published in Cook's Country Dec 2008 issue this recipe was a runner up winner of their annual holiday cookie contest. Submitted by Bridget Peterson from Manly, Iowa raspberry preserve is sandwiched between two almond butter cookies. So, okay perhaps the recipe isn't totally healthy, but it sure does look too good to pass up this holiday season!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups slivered almonds
- 1 cup sugar
- 16 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and chilled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup raspberry jam
- Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower middle positions and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Process 1 cup flour and almonds in food processor until finely ground. Add half cup sugar and remaining flour and process until combined. Add butter and vanilla to food processor and pulse until dough forms.
- On lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Using 2 inch round cookie cutter, cut out cookies, gathering and rerolling dough as necessary. Place cookies 2 inch apart on prepared baking sheets until light brown around edges, about 15 minutes, switching and rotating sheets halfway through baking. Cool 5 minutes on sheets, then transfer to wire rack.
- Transfer remaining sugar to a bowl. Working quickly, spread 1 tsp jam on bottom of half of warm cookies, then press remaining cookies onto jam to form sandwiches. Roll cookies in sugar to coat. Cool completely on wire rack. Repeat with remaining dough.