Top Review by jessann82
I was surprised at how much the raspberry came through on the cooked bars! I did feel the almond extract was a tad to strong-- and I LOVE almond extract. If i were to make again I'd prob use slightly less. These did seem more "cakey" thank cookie-like. And I was looking for a cookie taste. But pretty good.
- 1 pie dough
- 1⁄4 cup raspberry jam
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- red food coloring
- green food coloring
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream or 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pie dough for one crust unbaked shell. Line an 8-inch square ungreased cake pan with pastry.
- Spread with raspberry jam.
- Cream butter and sugar together thoroughly. Add eggs, beating until light and fluffy. Add flour and salt; blend well.
- Divide batter in half. Colour half pink and half green.
- First spread green layer, doing your best not to spread the jam onto the green batter. Once green is covering all of the jam, repeat with pink layer.
- Bake at 350°F for 30-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely then frost.
- Beat frosting ingredients together until smooth and creamy, adding enough icing sugar to make a spreading consistency. Spread over cooled bars.
- Let set and then cut into bars.