Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Sweet milk balls in thick milk.This recipe is really great.when I was in India I used to make it with fresh cow's milk.But in the USA its hard to find fresh cow's milk ,so I just make it with Samrock whole milk or any whole milk.Every time it comes out great.
- 1 liter whole milk (for chenna)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups drinking water
- 1 tablespoon cardamom powder
- 5 -6 almonds, diced very thinly
- 6 -7 saffron strands
- Sour the whole milk with lemon juice.
- Discard all the water (whey) and put solids (curds) in cheese cloth and press it with heavy weight.
- After 1/2 hour take out the weight and knead the chenna very properly.
- Make small balls of the size of dime.
- TO MAKE SUGAR SYRUP.
- In a sauce pan boil 3 cups of water and sugar together.
- when it starts to boil, drop in the chenna balls.
- On medium heat cover the pan and let it simmer for 1/2 an hour. If you have Indian style pressure cooker keep the lid closed with whistle on for 15 minutes on a VERY LOW HEAT(extremely important). switch off the heat.Frequently stir it so that the chenna balls don't stick to each other.
- In another pan boil heavy cream, 2 cups of whole milk and saffron strands. Add 5 tablespoon of sugar.
- Keep simmering for 20 minutes until the milk becomes thickened, taking care not to scorch.
- Now take out the chenna balls from the sugar syrup.
- While the whipping cream and whole milk is still simmering, drop in the chenna balls in it and simmer for another 15 minutes on low heat.
- switch off the heat.
- place the milk rasamalai in a bowl, sprinkle cardamom powder and almond flakes and refrigerate.
- Serve cold.
A bit time consuming but well worth the effort. Turned out perfect and everybody love it! Thank you, Sharda, for sharing this wonderful recipe, definitely a keeper.
this was really great ! i always wanted to make this at home. the only problem i had was souring the milk. i didnt really get any curds from just the lemon juice but when i cooked the milk on the stove for like 2 minutes then i got a lot. i dont know y this happened, but the flavor was really great. thanks !
Gee.. It took some time to prepare these but I'm so happy to have taken the challenge.. I AM going to make these again this week, because it was simply not enough. Thanks for a great recipe!