Sweet milk balls in thick milk.This recipe is really great.when I was in India I used to make it with fresh cow's milk.But in the USA its hard to find fresh cow's milk ,so I just make it with Samrock whole milk or any whole milk.Every time it comes out great.
- Sour the whole milk with lemon juice.
- Discard all the water (whey) and put solids (curds) in cheese cloth and press it with heavy weight.
- After 1/2 hour take out the weight and knead the chenna very properly.
- Make small balls of the size of dime.
- TO MAKE SUGAR SYRUP.
- In a sauce pan boil 3 cups of water and sugar together.
- when it starts to boil, drop in the chenna balls.
- On medium heat cover the pan and let it simmer for 1/2 an hour. If you have Indian style pressure cooker keep the lid closed with whistle on for 15 minutes on a VERY LOW HEAT(extremely important). switch off the heat.Frequently stir it so that the chenna balls don't stick to each other.
- In another pan boil heavy cream, 2 cups of whole milk and saffron strands. Add 5 tablespoon of sugar.
- Keep simmering for 20 minutes until the milk becomes thickened, taking care not to scorch.
- Now take out the chenna balls from the sugar syrup.
- While the whipping cream and whole milk is still simmering, drop in the chenna balls in it and simmer for another 15 minutes on low heat.
- switch off the heat.
- place the milk rasamalai in a bowl, sprinkle cardamom powder and almond flakes and refrigerate.
- Serve cold.