Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
I am posting this for the Zaar World Tour II. I have not tried this recipe. It is compliments of http://www.food-india.com/recipe/R001_025/R001.htm . Servings and time are an estimate.
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom powder (Elaichi)
- 3 cups water, for boiling, may need more (sugar, to water ratio should be 1-2)
- Add a teaspoon of lemon juice to the milk and bring it to a boil.
- The lemon juice will separate the milk into watery whey and solid chunks.
- Sift mixture through a clean muslin cloth and throw away the water. It will take about 15 minutes for all of the water to be removed.
- Blend solid chunks in blender with cardamon into a thick paste. You can add a FEW drops of water if needed but you want as thick of a paste as possible.
- Make small balls about 1 inch in diameter out of the paste.
- Boil water in a wide pan with at least 2-3 inches of water over medium low heat.
- Add sugar to water to make a light syrup.
- Gently drop the solid balls into the boiling syrup.
- Cook the balls in the syrup for about 1/2 an hour.
- Remove from heat and serve cold.