Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my cousin Helen's recipe for Rasam, an Indian dish.
- 1⁄2 cup toor dal
- 1⁄4 cup red ripe tomato
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1 tablespoon ghee or 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 green chilies
- curry leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1 lime, juice of (optional)
- Cook dal in water until very soft.
- Mix thoroughly to a smooth consistancy.
- Add 6 cups of water.
- Cut the green chilies lengthwise and the tomatoes into medium size squares.
- Add to dal.
- Heat the ghee and put in the mustard seed and when they splutter, add the asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add the dal, turmeric powder, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes on medium heat.
- Squeeze in the juice of a lime if you'd like.
- For Dal-Rasam, the method is absolutely the same, only aedd 6 cups of tamarind water to the cooked dal.
- This tastes better than ordinary rasam.