Recipe by Girl from India
This is one way I make Rasam (a tamarind based gram soup like dish which can be served with simple steamed rice and a vegetable and also a meat side dish or also as an accompaniment)This recipe is from the Compilation of recipes from the Master Chefs of India.
- 100 g red gram, split
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5 g mustard (1 tsp)
- 5 whole dried red chilies
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 g asafoetida powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 -3 tomatoes, quartered
- 3 -4 peppercorns, crushed
- 1 green chili
- 1⁄2 cup tamarind pulp (100 gms)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil.
- Add the mustard seeds, as soon as they splutter add the red chillies (whole), curry leaves, asafoetida and garlic and saute for 2 mins.
- Add the turmeric, red gram, tomatoes, peppercorns, green chilli, tamarind pulp and salt.
- Mix and add 2-3 cups of water.
- (if using pressure cooker add 2 cups and if cooking open add 3 cups).
- Bring to a boil and simmer till dal is tender and soft.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot.