Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is one way I make Rasam (a tamarind based gram soup like dish which can be served with simple steamed rice and a vegetable and also a meat side dish or also as an accompaniment)This recipe is from the Compilation of recipes from the Master Chefs of India.
- Heat oil.
- Add the mustard seeds, as soon as they splutter add the red chillies (whole), curry leaves, asafoetida and garlic and saute for 2 mins.
- Add the turmeric, red gram, tomatoes, peppercorns, green chilli, tamarind pulp and salt.
- Mix and add 2-3 cups of water.
- (if using pressure cooker add 2 cups and if cooking open add 3 cups).
- Bring to a boil and simmer till dal is tender and soft.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot.
i enjoy rasam with the red gram much more than others i have tried. i do love this with additional garlic and rice!! thanks for posting!
Very nice! I thought the tamarind was a little too predominant, but it should be noted that I could only get dried curry leaves, which didn't seem to have a lot of flavour. I also left out the asafoetida. Fay says not to keep lentil dishes around too long, but I thought this was better for lunch the next day - the flavours seemed to have blended and mellowed.