Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Makes just about 1/4 cup (?) needed to complete Miniature Pork Brochettes and thought you might be able to use it too. Posted for ZWT3
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 20 Spanish saffron threads
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Using a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder, reduce the ingredients to a fine powder. Sift to remove fibrous elements. Place in a tightly sealed container and store in a cool, dark place, or in the freezer.
I used this in Um Safia's Preserved Lemon Chicken Tagine for the Tagine!, which turned out delicious and saved me from having to make a special trip to the spice store. Very easy to make! Thanks for posting,
WOW. this is pungent, rich and sweet all at the same time. I used 1/2 a tsp less than ask for of salt and I think that actually using half would have suited me better personally. I'm going to have grand fun experimenting with this. I didn't measure the final yield but it makes considerably more than 1/4 cup.